A Useful Spider Prevention Guide For Your Birmingham Home
March 15, 2022
Spiders are one of the creepiest pests that infest homes in Birmingham. If you have a problem with bugs or insects in your home, then you likely have a spider problem as well, since spiders follow them inside in pursuit of their next meal. Dealing with all these vermin in your home at the same time is not an easy task, which is why partnering with the best pest control in Birmingham will save you a lot of headaches. Learn about which spiders in the area have the worst bite and how enlisting the help of EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services prevents spiders from infesting your home and keeps them from coming back.
Common Types Of Spiders Found In Birmingham
There are many types of spiders creeping around the Birmingham area, but the ones most likely to find their way into your home include:
- Brown recluse spiders
- House spiders
- Wolf spiders
Brown recluse spiders are noticeable for the dark brown violin shape on their backs. They can be found in basements and closets and will usually only bite when they feel trapped. House spiders are the most common spiders found indoors and are mainly a nuisance due to the number of webs they produce. Wolf spiders are big and hairy and primarily nuisance pests; they are unlike most spiders in that they do not hunt with webs but instead chase their prey using the speed they possess. Daddy longlegs are also known to be common in the area, but they are not actual spiders; they are arachnids and closer to the scorpion family, but they are just as creepy as any spider.
How Some Spider Bites Are Worse Than Others
Spiders in Birmingham will mostly bite when threatened; you do not want to be on the receiving end of any spider bite, but some of them are more dangerous than others:
- The venom from a brown recluse spider bite can cause severe allergic reactions in humans, mainly children, the elderly, and people with preexisting medical conditions. The reaction to a bite may take 6 to 8 hours, and a small blister will appear with swelling around it. Keep an eye on the bite, and if symptoms like restlessness or fever occur, call a physician or go to the emergency room immediately.
- The bite from a wolf spider is very painful, but their venom is not harmful to humans; they will only bite when handled. It is rare to be bitten by this species.
- House spiders will usually only bite humans if they are crushed or otherwise threatened. Their bites are not usually a cause for concern, but if severe swelling, lesions, or headaches result, seek medical attention as soon as you can.
The best practice upon being bitten by any spider is to monitor the results closely; if any significant symptoms appear, it is crucial to seek medical attention and, if possible, bring the spider to the doctor for proper identification and treatment.
Five Eco-Friendly Spider Prevention Tips For Your Home
Since all spiders are constantly on the lookout for their next meal, keeping them out of your home depends on how well you can keep other insects out. Here are five eco-friendly prevention tips that will make your home less attractive to these arachnids and their prey:
- Repair leaky pipes, clogged gutters, and dripping hoses that provide spiders and insects with a source of water.
- Repair any damage to your roof and keep caps on chimneys.
- Keep grass and shrubs cut short and keep bushes away from your home's exterior.
- Eliminate clutter inside and outside your home that can offer gathering areas for spiders and bugs.
- Repair cracks in your home's foundation and exterior walls.
If you're seeing spiders in your home, the best thing to do is contact a Birmingham pest control specialist to see what is attracting them to your home and to eliminate them.
How Professional Pest Control Is The Best Spider Control
The experts at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services are the best spider control specialists to call to get rid of spiders and the bugs they are chasing into your home. We are a local and family-owned company committed to providing excellent service that protects your home against these unwanted pests that have found their way inside. We provide environmentally-responsible services that will identify any existing and potential problems with pests in and around your home and have the best guarantees in the industry on all our services. Give us a call today for a free estimate, and let us eliminate these nasty spiders from your Birmingham home.
What EnviroCare Customers Are Saying
Envirocare handles all our pest, termite, mosquito, and lawn care services. We could not be more satisfied with all their services. They are one company that I always refer to others even if they are satisfied with their current services.
Get Started With EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services Today(205) 606-4882
Reach out for immediate lawn care and pest management in Birmingham, AL, and surrounding areas.