DIY Ant Control In Birmingham Doesn’t Always Work
September 15, 2022
If you’ve ever encountered fire ants, then you already know just how much trouble (and pain) these ankle-biters can cause with fire ant bites. But did you know how hard fire ants can be to get rid of?
Here’s what Birmingham homeowners should know about when fire ants are most active, what to do if you spot a mound, why home remedies don’t work, and the best way to get rid of fire ants with pest control in Birmingham.
The Time Of Day That Fire Ants Are Most Active
Fire ants prefer warmer temperatures, and since Birmingham has a mild climate, these critters can be active almost the entire year – but they’re mainly out and about during the fall, spring, and summer months.
Regarding the time of day when they’re most active, fire ants in Birmingham may venture out of their mounds in the late afternoon and early evening. This is when they’re most active, usually because temperatures will be at their hottest. For this reason, it’s a good idea to apply treatment to the fire ant mound in your yard when they’re out and about.
What To Do If You Spot A Fire Ant Hill
What should you do if you see a fire ant hill in your yard? Here’s how to deal with these mounds:
- Make sure you keep your distance from the mound. These pests attack in swarms and have powerful, painful stings, so you should never approach a mound on your own.
- With some close-toed shoes and while still keeping your distance, you’ll want to check your property for signs of other fire ant mounds.
- If you live with other people, you’ll want to notify them about the mound and ensure they wear close-toed shoes when they go outside.
- If you have close neighbors, you may want to inform them about the fire ants’ presence.
- If you have pets, you’ll want to monitor them outside to ensure they stay away from the fire ant colony and don’t get stung.
- Call your local pest control company for safe, effective fire ant removal.
In addition to these steps, you should always rely on professionals to eliminate red fire ants on your property.
Why DIY Ant Control Is Ineffective
There are plenty of home remedies you’ll find online for fire ants, but most of them aren’t effective enough to completely get rid of the ants, such as:
- Hairspray and cleaning products: While these products may kill a few ants, they won’t wipe out the entire colony, and the fire ants will likely just move a few feet over.
- Dry rice: You might’ve heard that fire ants eat dry rice and then die once the grain expands in their stomachs, but this isn’t true. Fire ants can only consume liquids so they won’t eat rice.
- Boiling water: This will likely kill some of the ants, but it won’t kill the queen, and the colony will repopulate over time.
- Fire: Not only can it be dangerous to try to burn the mound with fire, but like many of these methods, it’s unlikely to kill the entire colony, so the ants will repopulate.
Unfortunately, most home remedies are just temporary solutions for fire ants. To get rid of fire ants, you’ll need to use a professional pest control company with the experience and required treatments for fire ants.
Professional Fire Ant Control The Easy Way In Birmingham
The best way to eliminate fire ants in Birmingham is by working with us at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services. With fast servicing and a satisfaction guarantee, our work isn’t done until your property is entirely (and permanently) free of fire ants.
If you’ve discovered a fire ant infestation in your yard or want to know more about preventing these pests, don’t wait any longer – call us today at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services to receive your free estimate or to learn more about our fire ant treatments.