How Do I Get Rid Of The Ants In My Birmingham House?
March 30, 2022
Your Birmingham home is your place of refuge. Whether you are spending time with the family, tinkering around the yard, or just relaxing, it is the one place in the world where you feel the safest. You do not want anything violating the sanctity of your home, which is why it was so alarming when you noticed ants crawling across the kitchen counter; now you have to find out why these ants are here and how you are going to deal with them. Learn about the types of ants found in the area and how partnering with EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services, the experts at pest control in Birmingham, get rid of ants in your home and keep them from coming back.
What Types Of Ants Are There In Birmingham?
There are many different types of ants in the Birmingham area, but the most common intruders are Argentine ants, fire ants, and carpenter ants. Here is some general information about these ants:
- Argentine ants are a dull brown color and are about 1/8 of an inch long. They move in tight trails and live in many places around the world. Sugar is their preferred meal, but they will also eat proteins and fats. They have a musty odor when crushed.
- Fire ants are dark reddish-brown and are 1/8 to 3/8 inches in length. They can inflict painful bites and stings and live throughout the southern part of the United States.
- Carpenter ants can be between 1/2 to 5/8 inches in length and are usually red, black, or a combination of both colors. They are found throughout the United States and are known most for tunneling through the wood to create their nests.
Each species of ants presents its own unique problems in the homes they invade, so knowing how dangerous they can be is important in understanding why they should be dealt with immediately.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Ants In My House?
Any uninvited pest in your house can be dangerous, and ants are no different. Carpenter ants can chew through the structural wood of your home while creating their nests and cause major damage. Fire ants aren't destructive to your home, but if you are bitten or stung by them, you will know it; their sting is extremely painful and usually results in a raised welt that will fill with fluid or pus. Argentine ants bite, but the results are not as drastic as a fire ant sting. The danger of having Argentine ants in your home is that they spend their time crawling over sewage, trash, and dead animals. If they get into your food supplies, they can contaminate them and spread dysentery and other disease-causing bacteria.
What's The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In My House?
When your ant problem becomes, more than you can handle on your own, partnering with the Birmingham pest control experts at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services is the easiest decision you can make. We have been a family-run business since 1958 and are committed to providing outstanding service that protects your home from the unwanted pests that manage to find their way inside. Our environmentally responsible ant control solutions will identify all existing and potential problems with ants around your home. We will then provide a customized plan that will guarantee they don't return. Give us a call today, and let us give you the peace of mind that comes with a pest-free home.
How Can I Prevent Future Ant Infestations?
Whether Argentine ants, carpenter ants, or fire ants in Birmingham are affecting your home, keeping them from finding their way inside is the first step in preventing an infestation. Here are several things you can do to try and prevent them from gaining access to your home:
- Check to make sure there are no cracks or openings along your home's foundation and around doors and windows. Seal all openings with a silicone-based caulk.
- Eliminate any sources of moisture or standing water on and around your property. Fix leaky pipes, make sure your gutters are unclogged, and use dehumidifiers to keep your home dry.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back and away from the house; make sure firewood and other materials are stored away from the exterior of your home.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors and place weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Keep your kitchen and all other areas free from food debris. Wipe down counters and tables daily.
- Remove trash from the house promptly and store all outdoor waste and recycling in bins with tight-fitting lids.
These prevention tips may help prevent an infestation of ants from occurring in your home. If they do manage to infiltrate your home and you need professional pest control in Birmingham to get rid of them, EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services are the experts to call.