Why Professional Termite Control Is A Must-Have In Birmingham
February 28, 2023
Termites can cause extensive damage to a house. They eat wood and other materials in homes, making the structure and some personal belongings vulnerable. Knowing how to spot the signs of termites, the damage they can cause, and how to avoid an infestation will keep your house safe from these pests. Read on to learn more about termites and how Birmingham pest control professionals can help.
How To Spot Signs Of Termite Damage
In most cases, you won’t see termites when they infest your house. They live in soil and burrow through wood, keeping them hidden from view. However, there are ways to determine if these pests are in your home and causing damage. Some signs that you have termites include:
- Mud tubes: Termites build tunnels for moisture and travel between their colony and food source, usually near the foundation of a home.
- Wood damage: Termites eat wood from the inside out, so while you might not see holes in the damaged wood, it might sound hollow.
- Uneven or bubbling paint: When paint suddenly appears uneven or bubbling, the cause is usually a build-up of moisture, indicating water damage or termites.
- Frass: Drywood termites leave wood-colored, pellet-sized droppings when they eat through wood called frass.
It takes several years for termites to cause significant damage to a home, but it’s impossible to determine how long they’ve been there. Call the professionals at Envirocare Lawn & Pest Services for effective termite control in Birmingham if you suspect termites in your home.
The Extent Of Property Damage Termites Can Create
The biggest concern about termites in Birmingham is they feed on wood. Since wood is a primary component of buildings, this can cause devastating damage to a house.
However, these pests eat cellulose and will consume anything with the substance, including:
- Paper products
- Cardboard boxes
- Art canvases
The damage termites cause largely depends on the weather and if they have shelter. While they don’t stop feeding during winter, termites become less active in cold weather. However, they won’t slow if they can find protection in low temperatures. As a result, they’ll continue to cause damage while in your home.
Factors That Attract Termites To Homes And How To Remove Them
Once termites get into your home, they can be hard to remove. These pests are hard to see and cause damage slowly, so they might be in your house for years before you recognize their existence. The best way to avoid a termite problem is to remove factors that cause an infestation.
Some of the factors that attract termites and ways to remove them include:
- When soil contacts your home, it allows termites easy access to food, moisture, and shelter. Lift siding, door frames, and window frames at least six inches above ground level.
- Moist soil next to your home’s foundation can attract termites. Divert water away from your home with gutters, downspouts, and splash blocks.
- Woodpiles provide food and easy entry for termites. Keep wood at least 20 feet away from your house.
- Mulch attracts termites because it retains moisture and insulates against extreme temperatures. Replace mulch with crushed stone or pea gravel next to your house.
Despite your best efforts, termites still might get into your home. If you notice termite damage to your house, call pest control professionals for help with Birmingham termite control.
The Best Way To Protect Your Home From Termites
Termites can cause significant damage to your home before you recognize an infestation. EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services technicians will complete a thorough termite inspection to identify the pests and damage. We’ll provide treatment to get the termites out of your Birmingham home and ensure they don’t return. Call us today if you see signs of termites and learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Birmingham.
What EnviroCare Customers Are Saying
Lawn looks better than it ever has. Very pleased with the service these guys provide.
Get Started With EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services Today(205) 940-6360
Reach out for immediate lawn care and pest management in Birmingham, AL, and surrounding areas.