Silverfish Identification & Prevention
What are silverfish?
People describe the appearance of these pests as unsettling. These insects get their name from their metallic scales and fish-like shape and movements. Silverfish have a flat, tear-dropped shape body and look as if they are swimming when they walk.
Silverfish are about ¾ of an inch long and have six legs, long antennae, and three bristle-like tails. They are flightless and do not have wings.
Are silverfish dangerous?
From their appearance alone, you likely think silverfish are dangerous. The threatening nature of silverfish is only skin deep as they don’t pose severe dangers to people.
However, they can still create waste and stir up dust that can trigger allergies and damage items around your home, and get into food.
Why do I have a silverfish problem?
Silverfish are scavengers that will eat starchy foods, sugars, coffee, vegetables, linen, cotton, glue, and much more. Because of this, they will find their way into homes, looking for food. They can get inside through damaged screens and cracks in the exterior walls.
Where will I find silverfish?
Silverfish are nocturnal, so you likely won’t see them unless you look for them at night. And even then, you might not see them because they are so quick. However, below are some common places they are inside and outside your home:
- Under sinks
- Storage areas
- Under rocks
- Under potted plants
- Under garbage cans
- In leaf litter and other organic debris
How do I get rid of silverfish?
The best way to deal with any pest is by calling in the pros. Birmingham residents can contact us at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services for assistance with silverfish and other unwanted pests.
We use an easy 3-step process to provide pest-free homes:
- We give an estimate over the phone after discussing what pest problems you are facing
- Get you set up with a scheduled appointment.
- Perform the initial treatment, which will include a perimeter and baseboard spray.
Once you have received your initial professional pest control treatment, we will return monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly to re-treat the exterior of your home.
Give us a call at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services to learn more about our hassle-free home pest control services!
How can I prevent silverfish in the future?
There are several things you can do to help keep silverfish and other pests away using the following tips:
- Regularly deep cleaning your kitchen and storage areas can help to reduce the food sources that attract these pests. Use lidded plastic containers for storage.
- Inspect the exterior of your home for any potential entry points, which include cracks in the foundation, gaps around windows and doors, and damaged screens.
- Silverfish and other pests love moisture, so make certain your home has proper ventilation, repair any leaks, and clear your yard of unnecessary organic matter.
With our home and commercial pest control services and these tips, you can have a pest-free property, so call us at EnviroCare Lawn & Pest Services to get started and learn more prevention tips.
Bundle & Save!
Learn how you can bundle your services from EnviroCare and save today!
Recent Blog Articles
Pest Spotlight: Brown Recluse Spiders Around Your Birmingham Property
Do you have brown recluse spiders around your property? Learn more about these dangerous spiders and how to quickly and effectively get rid of them
A Guide To Effective Silverfish Control In Birmingham
Silverfish are commonly found in Birmingham homes. At EnviroCare, we know how to effectively get rid of silverfish in your home for good